October 1, 2013

Not so funny MEOW is it?

I had an epic weekend.

Started out on Friday driving to West Yellowstone, it was one of the prettiest drives I have ever seen in my life.  Around Big Sky and the Gallatin River the views were out of this world.  And it snowed last week so the mountain tops looked like they had sugar sprinkled on top.  I drove over with my new Montana friend Staci, its a good thing I met her because she likes taking me on adventures and since Henry works 24/7 she shows me around the state while he is herding sheep.  Its weird too because every time I am with her on an adventure I see crazy wild animals that I have never seen in my life.  So of course this time was no different.   She even told me I would see Big Horn Sheep, which I have never seen before and since I'm an avid sheep watcher/lover I was pretty excited but doubtful at the same time.  As soon as we got into the curvy roads around the river we see a freaking flock of like 15 just chillin on the side of the road, I'm talking ewes AND baby big horns it was awesome.  I'm pretty sure I scared the crap out of Staci because I started screaming while grabbing my phone and yelling 'HURRY TAKE PICTURES' 'AWWWWWWWWW OH MY GOD THIS IS SO COOL, ARE YOU GETTING PICTURES OF THEM?' 'BIG HORN SHEEP ARE RIGHT THERE!' acting crazy would be an understatement, frantic, maniac wacko would begin to describe it.

As you can guess the pics are a little blurry...

As we were coming into West Yellowstone (technically in the park but you don't have to pay for that part we see Elk, HUGE BULLS!  That was cool, Staci made me get out of the car so she could take my pic with them, but since I was screaming again they started running so all you see is me with my thumbs up and a white spot running in the distance.  oh well...  So the only thing next on my list is a Moose.  I'm dying to see a moose.

Once we made it to West Yellowstone we went out to a bar/pub called The Buffalo, it was cool, had a life size stuffed buffalo.


We decided to enjoy ourselves and have a good evening because Staci kept saying "we can run a 5k hungover" which of course in hindsight always sounds like a good idea.  When we woke up the next morning to head to the race and well...

We felt less than amazing.  I look out the window and notice, yes its snowing.  awesome.


After gaining some traction we dressed in our awesome pine needle stampede shirts and I brought my elmer fudd hat since I had a bad feeling I was going to freeze my face off.  Thank god I brought it and luckily (without knowing) it matched my shirt.  SCORE.

We ran the race, we didn't die, but there was a moment I wished a bear had eaten me because dying a terrible death sounded better than continue running in 27 degree weather, hungover, in 10,000 ft elevation.

THEN I DROVE HOME.  Staci went with our other running partners since I had to hurry home to get ready to go to Henry's friends wedding.  As I'm driving home I'm convinced I'm going to see a Moose.  In my distraction I see a park ranger flip a bish and turn his lights on, and I realize I'm driving WELL OVER the speed limit.  As he turns around he turns his lights OFF and just tails me for 2 miles, my heart is pumping out of my chest and I'm just thinking PULL ME OVER ALREADY... so he does.

He asks where I was coming from, I told him I just ran a race in West Yellowstone and I show him my cool wooden metal which he responded "You drove all the way from Molt to run in a race?  (takes all my info) I'll be right back"

Then I just sit there pondering how expensive my ticket is.... He comes back, hands me all of my info and says "you were driving 19 mph over the speed limit.  Slow. Down" I notice there is no ticket in his hand and I get super awkward don't know what to say so this comes out "YOU'RE THE NICEST PERSON I'VE EVER MET IN MY LIFE, DO YOU SEE ANY MOOSE AROUND HERE"  He then proceeds to tell me about all the cool wildlife he gets to see moose included and how he came from Arizona, which that transitioned into me moving from California and then 10 minutes later I realize I'm still having a conversation on the side of the road in Yellowstone National Park with the Park Ranger who isn't giving me a ticket.  So after that terribly awkward conversation I pinky promised to him how I'll go the speed limit and THANK YOU SO MUCH.

PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!  Crisis adverted.

Got home, went to a wedding with Henry, although we were a little (over an hour) late because he broke an electrical line at the ranch so we went to Lowes for emergency supplies, one lady said to me "wow, nice dress but isn't that a little much for Lowes?" and I replied "this is my Wal Mart outfit"

Sunday night Jason Boland was playing at a local bar in town so I got henry off the ranch for the second night in a row (NEVER HAPPENS) and we had a really fun time.  Mr. Boland and his Straggler friends were super high, like cross eyed high, but when you listen to all his songs he mentions pot or weed in about 75% of his songs so it made sense.  

I was the sober driver and had no idea this was going on behind me
 I even got to meet Jason Boland afterward, he was super nice.  I bought a coozie for him to sign and asked for his autograph.  I said "please sign my coozie, its the only thing I could afford"  I'm also told I cut about 15 people to get this pic... whoops.  Staci then told him that he played at her wedding since she eloped to Alaska for her wedding and they went to a music fest where he played, so technically, he was her wedding singer.  That's kinda badass.


No comments: